Frequently Asked Questions About Tiny Homes

Looking to buy a tiny home?

Check out our frequently asked questions about pricing & finance, connecting services, transportation, certifications and more.

Pricing & Finance

What options are there?

  • 11m (L) x 2.5m (W) x 4.2 (H) from $189,000
  • 11m (L) x 3m (W) x 4.2 (H) from $205,000
  • 11m (L) x 3.5m (W) x 4.2 (H) from $220,000

Pricing includes a ten-year warranty (plus 12 months warranty on all appliances)

Is there rent to buy options?

  • We don’t have any rent to buy options available currently
  • If you own assets (land or dwellings) we have the ability to run your personal scenario through our financing team

Deposit required?

  • 25% initial deposit once design is signed off
  • 25% when technical drawings are completed
  • 50% final payment due upon completion and siting of the finished unit

Build and Design

Build Time General? 

  • Our current build time takes around 16-20 weeks for standard plans.
  • Custom plans can sometimes take longer and are a case-by-case basis.

Can I make adjustments to the standard plans?

  • Basic amendments can be made to our standard plans.
  • Depending on what these additions there may be an extra charge.

Can you do custom builds?

  • Yes we can, but by the time we allow for the new engineering, working drawings etc the cost could add anywhere from $10,000 for a standard plan price.
  • If people have a concept already, we can work off this to establish a quote price.
  • Encourage people to go with standard plans for the most cost-effective result.

Tiny House Structure and Chassis

How much does it weigh?

  • Most of our large units weigh around 8.5-9 tonnes.

I thought the maximum weight limit was 3.5t (for a COF/NZTA standard trailer)?

  • Our 2.5m wide Tiny Homes can go for a COF as we can build up to 10 tonnes in weight
  • Our chassis / running gear is not like any other company
  • We use electric brakes, suspension and triple truck axles rated at 3.5t each.
  • These are a requirement under the COF certification

What’s the overall size? 

  • The majority of our units are 11m (length) x2.5m (wide) as this is the max size under a COF
  • For those not wanting a COF we can also increase to a 11x3m size
  • All units are 4.2m high from the ground (max legal height is 4.35m)

What does it take to tow one of these? 

  • As our units weight around 9 tonne it means a transport truck is required to tow these
  • We don’t need to lift onto a low loader as these are towed directly behind the truck via a pintle hook connection like a standard large trailer
  • This means the transport rates are very cost effective in comparison to other companies

What’s the difference with this chassis?

  • Our chassis and construction is unsurpassed by any other company on the market
  • All chassis steel is hot dip galvanised
  • We use 190x85mm RHS structural steel supports
  • We also have full individual suspension, electric brakes and triple truck axles rated at 3.5tea
  • We are yet to see any other company constructing their chassis to this level
  • We want these to travel safely at their everyday weight and our chassis helps to achieve this

What’s the upper structure made of?

  • We have a full galvanised steel frame
  • Full wall and ceiling insulation
  • Weatherproof wrap
  • 12mm internal and external rigid bamboo plywood barriers
  • Vinyl cladding with a EPS expol insulation layer built in
  • A hard waring interior wall lining
  • All of these additions are to assist with strength, rigidity and thermal retention

Where are these made? 

  • Our chassis and upper steel structure are produced off shore.
  • In our factory in Morrinsville we complete the electrical, plumbing, gas, roofing, spouting, cladding, windows and doors.


How much is transport?

  • Our transport is based on standard NZTA rates
  • These sit at $3.50 per km (plus GST) from Morrinsville based on the distance there and back
  • If the trip is more than 10 hours, then overnight accommodation will have to be factored into transport rates

Can you deliver to the South Island?

  • Yes we can, depending on where in the south island will dictate the method used
  • These costs can range from around $6,000 to $10,000 depending on location

What is the siting process?

  • The standard process is for these to be delivered to your site only
  • For further levelling or assistance, it is suggested to engage with a local contractor


Are Tiny Homes on wheels road legal?

  • Customers can choose if they wish to add a COF certification to their unit
  • We find most opt out of this as they don’t intend to take down to VTNZ in 6 months’ time
  • Note: the COF option is only applicable to the 8×2.5m and the 11×2.5m size

What certifications do these come with if any? 

  • We are going through a process called a building pass process, this will inspect the engineering, structure, products and construction to sign these off from a building consent perspective and state that these are a liveable dwelling
  • This process can take another 2-3 months before applicable to all builds
  • All units have an electrical WOF sign off
  • They also have all plumbing and gas singed of from certified installers

Is there a Code of Compliance or Building Consent issued with these?

  • From 1st October 2019 all NZ Tiny Home builds have code of compliance certification.  It is up to each client to do their own due diligence with their local territory to discuss applying for a resource consent.

Given the rise in Tiny Home popularity, has the Council developed a strategy or approach to consenting tiny houses?

From a building consent perspective, a tiny house (where it is decided that it is a building) is treated like any other building.  The New Zealand Building Code does not have different requirements for a tiny house so it is difficult to treat them any other way.

Standard Inclusions

What are the standard inclusions?

  • Our standard appliances include a gas oven and hob, rangehood and fridge freezer
  • All units include a standard interior fit out with all tapware, cabinets, showers etc
  • We also include full plumbing and gas, including a gas hot water califont system
  • Our standard toilet is a composting unit, with the ability to upgrade to an incinerating version

What is an upgrade? 

  • Composting to Incinerating toilet
  • Heat Pump
  • Velux Skylights
  • Wood Burner Fire Place

Prices are not quoted due to ongoing increases in materials and labour.


What type of toilet is included?

  • Standard toilet is a composting system (not allowed in residential areas)
  • You can upgrade to an incinerating toilet for $4,025
  • We can install a flushing toilet if there is a septic system on site, this will save $1,500

What happens with wastewater?

  • With composting or incinerating toilets, wastewater is not applicable
  • If you opt for a flushing toilet then there must be a septic system on site to hook into

What happens with grey water?

  • We recommend checking your local territory guidelines as to the correct way to dispose of grey water in your particular area.

What is the water supply?

  • The standard connection is hose connection which can be run from an existing source
  • Otherwise, clients look into small portable water tanks with a in ground pump

What is the power supply?

  • The standard inclusion is an extension lead with caravan plug (limited to 12-15 amps)
  • If you have a 3-phase connection,
  • they can add a 3-phase lead which runs 32amps
  • We also run a hardwire cable to the main connection if people choose to hardwire the unit

What items run off gas?

  • The oven and hot water system run off gas
  • There are mounts for 2x freestanding gas bottles to be installed by the owners on site

Can these go off Grid?

  • Yes, we work with a company called ZEN Energy who can provide off-grid options
  • We can discuss a solar package to suit your needs and budget

Local Territory

Tiny homes are generally bespoke which makes every situation different.  This makes it very difficult to provide black and white answers to general questions.  We have attempt to do some basic research on how local territories are starting to recognise tiny homes in New Zealand.  Again, we stress the importance of you doing your own due diligence with your local territory (council).

The Building Act and Resource Management Act (and the District Plan made under the RMA) are discrete pieces of legislation with quite different purposes and principles and can define the same term differently.

The particular circumstances of a tiny house on a site will determine whether it is a ‘building’ under either the Building Act or under a District Plan.  Councils uses zoning as a key mechanism to control the use of land.  There can be a number of different zones throughout an area that provide for different activities or types of development.

Where an activity is permitted by the district plan then no resource consent is required.  Conversely, where an activity breaches a rule in the district plan, resource consent will be required.

Where does a tiny house on wheels fit within the district plan?

The provisions of the district plan reply on a number of definitions to determine what rules are applicable to specific activities.  A Tiny home fits within the definition of a ‘building’ and residential unit in the district plan.  It is also important to note that Tiny homes still have environmental effects that need to be considered by Council, such as how close is the tiny home to neighbours, if the site is subject to any natural hazards (flooding), whether there is sufficient parking and safe vehicular access, and whether there is adequate outdoor open space.  The actual effects requiring consideration will vary on a case by case basis depending on the specifics of the tiny house and site.


Power connections

The Building Code provisions for electricity (G9) are primarily based on any electrical installation being safe.  This also applies to gas (G11).  Electricians and gasfitters are self-certifying

Water use/ connection to town water supply

Potable (drinking water): Under the Building Code clause G12 – Water Supplies does not specify that a house needs to connect to the public supply, however a potable water supply will be required for human consumption, food preparation , utensil washing and oral hygiene in order for the building to be sanitary.

Wastewater disposal

Connection to sewerage system: Building Code clause G13 requires that if a sewer system is available then that water-borne foul water needs to discharge to it.  The Local Government Act 1974 Section 459(7)(b) restricts the ability of the Council to require a connection of a building to the public drain if the nearest part of the building is more than 60 metres from the public drain.

Composting Toilets

Composting toilets do not use a water-borne drainage system so are not specifically required to be connected to a public drain.